DRINKING WATER, LIVING HEALTHY

drinking water, living healthy“If you are currently drinking tap water or let’s say water from a restaurant, do you know where it comes from or what’s in it?  Would your healthy living lifestyle change if you did?”

Tap water is treated with a lot of chemicals in order to kill bacteria and other microorganisms. It may also contain other contaminants like toxic metal salts, hormones and pesticides, or it may become contaminated by chemicals or microbes that are in the pipes (e.g. lead, bacteria, protozoa).

The three main chemicals used as primary disinfectants are chlorine, chlorine dioxide and ozone. Monochloramine, also known as chloramine, is used as a residual disinfectant. According to the U.S. Council of Environmental Quality, the cancer risk to people who drink chlorinated water is 93 percent higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine. Chlorine dioxide is a severe respiratory and eye irritant in humans. It is harmful if swallowed or inhaled. If inhaled it may cause irritation of the mucous membranes and respiratory tract. Other symptoms may include coughing, wheezing, and severe breathing difficulties which may be delayed in onset. Pulmonary edema is common following severe exposure.

Chloramine in drinking water causes a wide range of health problems. There’s more anecdotal evidence (cause-and-effect) for some of these symptoms than for others: digestive & gastric disorders,  severe stomach cramps, acid reflux, IBS. Respiratory problems:  asthma, bronchitis, persistent coughing, wheezing, chronic sinus/nasal congestion.  Dermatolgical disorders: skin rashes, welts, blistering, dry skin, cracking, chapping, peeling, bleeding, burning sensations, scarring.  Mouth ulcers, dry eye and dry mouth.  There are studies that say people in chemotherapy should not drink chloramine-treated water. People with suppressed immune systems (HIV Aids, chemotherapy patients, and infants under six months of age) must have their water boiled over ten minutes to kill the pathogens in the water.

Chloramine is also corrosive to many types of household plumbing, and it kills Aquarium fish, too. In fact, chloramine has the potential to cause massive fish kills. Chloromine does not dissipate like chlorine. If a water main breaks, chloramine would flow into the water supply via creeks and streams, at full strength, and result in serious fish kills.

So what do you think?  You have two options.  Filter your own water or drink bottled water.  As for me I choose to filter my own water.  I drink Pure Hydration alkaline antioxidant water for the great health benefits which I’ll talk about in another post.